As we discussed in Intro to Message in the BT Cloud Work App, you can start a chat with one other person (a direct message) or with a group of people (either in a group or team).
In addition to sending a message to a user in the account, you can also send a message to any non-users of the app. This will send them an invite to join the app so they can start communicating with you.
NOTE: Sending messages to external guests depends on the permissions set by your admin. To learn more, visit Adding a New User to the BT Cloud Work App Mobile.
Sending a new message via the new action button
One way you can send a message is via the New actions plus button. The New actions button can be found in the Message and Contacts interface of the app in the bottom right-hand corner for Android and the top right corner for iOS. If you’d like to send a new message to one person or a group of people, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Message via the bottom bar.
- Tap the New actions plus button in the lower right-hand corner of the app.
- Select New message.
- Enter the names or email addresses in the To field.
- Tap Next at upper right.
- Type the body of your message in the Message field.
- Tap the airplane button to the right of the message field to send the message.
Once you’ve sent a new message, that conversation will appear at the top of your conversations list.
Sending a message via the search bar
- Tap the magnifying glass icon at the top right.
- Begin typing the name of the person, group, or team to begin populating a list of options in the search results section.
- Once the name of the person, group, or team appears, tap on the name to open a conversation in the app.
- Begin typing a message in the Message field at the bottom of the app.
- Once you’ve drafted your message, tap the airplane button to send the message.
NOTE: If the message was not successfully sent, a red looping arrow will appear at the far right of the message. Tap on this arrow to try resending the message.
Now that we’ve reviewed how to send a message, let’s review some of the message options you can use while drafting your message. All your message options are available by tapping on the plus sign in the Message field. Selecting any of these options will allow you to configure your message using the associated action.
- New task: Select the checkmark icon to post a task to the current conversation, whether it's just a few ad-hoc tasks or many tasks that are part of a project. For more info, visit Creating a Task in the BT Cloud Work App Mobile
- New event: Select the calendar icon to create a new event. For more info, visit Creating an Event in the BT Cloud Work App Mobile
- New note: Select the paper icon to compose a long-form, formatted document.
- Attach files: Select the paperclip icon to select a file from your computer or from Google Drive. Any type of file can be uploaded, including image files. To learn more, visit Attaching a File in the BT Cloud Work App Mobile
- Attach photos or videos: Select the image icon to choose and attach photos or videos from your phone’s photo and video library.
- Share GIF: Find a GIF you want to share by selecting the GIF paper icon. Here, you can select a GIF from the GIPHY library or search for one using the search bar at the top of the page.
Using markdown in your message
You can use markdown in your message to bold, italicize, underline, or strikethrough your text. These markdown options include the following:
- *italics* : italics
- **bold** : bold
- __underline__ : underline
- ~~strikethrough~~ : strikethrough