The BT Cloud Phone Hot Desking feature enables users to log in to a shared "common phone" which will then reflect their personal settings, voicemail and more.
For example, a company can use Hot Desking to set up shared desk/phones for remote or home workers instead of having dedicated facilities for each person when they travel to the company’s office. Another example would be for shift workers: instead of separate desks/phones for each worker, using Hot Desking agents use shared desks/phones but retain their own settings.
Key Features & Benefits
• Employees travelling from different offices can share the same phone and desk while keeping their own extension profiles and voicemail access
• Enable businesses to save cost as employees can log into shared phones and remain productive
• Reduce investment in facilities and hardware
• Each “Hot Desked” user must have their own BT Cloud Phone licence. No calls can be made or received on the Hot Desk phone unless someone is logged in (except for Emergency calling).
• Hot Desking is available on BT Cloud Phone Connect and Collaborate.
• Hot Desking is only available with BT Cloud Phone Polycom VVX 301, VVX 411, VVX 411+expansion module, VVX 601, and VVX 601 + expansion module.
• BT Cloud Phone licence
• A Common Phone
Hot Desking Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which types of BT Cloud Phone accounts include Hot Desking?
Hot Desking is available on all BT Cloud Phone Connect and Collaborate accounts.
2. Do I pay more for a phone enabled with Hot Desking?
No. The price is the same.
3. Which phones support BT Cloud Phone Hot Desking?
Hot Desking is currently supported on the BT Cloud Phone Polycom VVX 301, VVX 411, VVX 411+expansion module, VVX 601, and VVX 601 + expansion module.
4. Can I use an existing BT Cloud Phone Polycom VVX500 as a common phone with Hot Desking?
Yes. If you have an unassigned BT Cloud Phone Polycom VVX500, an Administrator can convert it to a common phone from the BT Cloud Phone Portal.
5. How do I make and receive calls from a hot desked phone?
A user can simply press the Login
soft key or *90
and enter your extension and PIN. When an Administrator activates an extension, a password and a PIN will be set up. Users will need to use this PIN to log in any available common phone.
The phone will adopt your extension settings and be ready to use. See instructions below
6. Can the previous user be logged out of a common phone if they forgot to do it themselves?
Common phones have a default session timeout of 12 hours. An Administrator can also log out a specific common phone anytime from the BT Cloud Phone Portal.
7. How do I set up Hot Desking via the BT Cloud Phone Portal?
Follow the steps below
to know more about setting up your Common Phone for Hot Desking. You must have an Administrator
account to configure these settings.
Setting up Hot Desking via the BT Cloud Phone Portal
How to add a common phone via the BT Cloud Phone portal
1. Log in to your BT Cloud Phone Portal as an Administrator.
2. Under Phone system, click Phones & devices.
There are two (2) ways to add a common phone, follow the steps below to proceed.
Purchase a common phone
1. On the Common are phones tab click + Add device and then select.
2. Select a device.
3. Provide your Emergency address. You may select from your list of saved addresses or provide a new address for the physical location of the phone.
4. Provide the Delivery address.
5. Read the order information and tick the box beside "I acknowledge that I have read the above information and accept the charges".
6. You may click Print to print a copy of the order summary or click Done to complete the process.
Convert an Unassigned Phone into a common phone
1. Click the Unassigned tab and select an Unassigned phone.
2. On the Phone details window, click Convert to common phone and follow the instructions to proceed with adding your common phone.
Set up a Session Timeout for all common phones
1. On the Tools menu, click Hot Desk session timeout.
2. Configure your Hot Desk session timeout. Select between 4-24 hours (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, and 24 hours).
Log out of a common phone remotely
In case a user forgets to log out of a common phone, Administrators can log it out remotely so that it can be available for other users.
1. Under Phone system, click Phones & devices.
2. On the Common are phones tab, select the common phone(s) you want to log out.
3. On the Phone details window, click Logout.
NOTE: No calls can be made or received on the common phone unless someone is logged in (except for Emergency calling).
Using your common phone
Log in to a common phone
On your desk phone, press the Login soft key or dial *90 on a common phone.
User will be prompted to enter the extension number and a pin (Soft key + Ext +Pin).
Log out from a common phone
On your desk phone, press Logout soft key on the phone or dial *91 to log out.